Art and Design
Art and Design Curriculum Overview
At Wyndham, we place a great emphasis on the importance of Art and Design. It enables children to express themselves in a creative, imaginative manner and through exploration. We intend to teach the children a skills based curriculum, with individuality and creativeness flowing through everything they do.
Teaching of Art and Design Technology in Early Years Foundation Stage
In Early years, Art and Design plays a very important role in their development. Children are taught to represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music and dance.
They safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
Teaching of Art in Key Stage 1
Pupils should be taught to;
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Teaching of Art in Key Stage 2
Pupils should be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.
Children will be become creative learners, who have a web of knowledge about the great artists of the world. Creativity and uniqueness will be celebrated and children will become astute at editing and improving the pieces they have created. As teachers, there will be an emphasis placed on individuality and children will be given the freedom to explore art using their imaginations. Children will have embedded the key art and design skills needed to allow them to produce inventive pieces of art.